Interesting Data - SG ARG

I thought this was interesting - Number 1 SG ARG is Rory at +.33

And the worst is Jack Singh-Brar at -.66

Seems like not much of a skill gap from the best to the worst, less than 1 stroke, compared to OTT and APP where the best and worst are 3.97 and 2.85 strokes apart.

I would have thought it would be more or at least similar to putting but it shows how good all of these guys are around the greens I guess and that there are not many strokes to be gained there.

Had a look on the PGA Tour website, and 66% was about average for greens in regulation in the 2022 season.

As such, they’re only hitting 6 or 7 ARG shots per round compared to 18 approach shots, so the gap between first and last is pretty much proportional for both of those.

1 Like

Probably a couple more due to par 5’s, but point made
The shots around the green seem to be lower variance than they used to be. Much easier to get the ball up and down due to the standardized turf and sand conditions

ARG skill has always been lower variance than the rest, mostly due to @jrwfsl147’s point, but also (I think) because ARG SG has more noise than the others. Two 20-yard pitches can be very different depending on whether you are short-sided, for example. Scenarios like this exist in the other SG areas too, but not to the extent you see around-the-green.

1 Like

Does a putt from the fringe count as ARG or putting?

How about somewhere like St Andrews where a player might end up putting from the fairway 40 yards from the hole>

Speaking of which, is Tiger’s performance in Round 2 of the 2015 Management Open the worst single round ARG performance you have in the database?

Since it doesn’t technically count as a putt I would imagine it would be ARG.

For official PGA Tour SG stats, fringe is not a putt. For our own SG numbers, we count fringe shots under a certain distance (I believe 45 feet) as putts.

2 Likes

We have a page for that! Tiger’s round is the 10th worst. Sam Burns has the second worst (as an amateur)… not sure what happened to him that day.

1 Like

Would the amount of attempts matter when it comes to measuring SG ARG? Over 50 rounds they would all have 100’s of ARG Shots.

I would have thought that because of the proximity to the hole it’s just more difficult to have a ARG shot that could lose or gain more than a stroke compared to a tee shot or approach that could cost you more than 1 stroke, e.g. OOB, penalty, etc.

That could explain the big differences.

Yeah the amount of attempts matter, because it’s sg per round (if it was sg per shot, then it wouldn’t matter). So even if the variance of SG was the same for APP shots and ARG shots (and the differences in skill across players were the same), because there are more APP shots per round there would be more variance in year-long APP SG per round (or APP skill).