Old School Scout Player Of The Year: Rory McIlroy

I think we need a quick thread here to just come to an agreement that Rory was the best player in the world this year.

– He won the scoring title despite playing one of the toughest schedules

– Top of the list strokes gained at the end of the year by quite a bit

– Best score in the four majors by like 10 shots

– Did not miss a cut at a major. If you want to be the undisputed top dog, you cannot MC at the PGA Championship-- totally unacceptable.

– Three of Scheffler’s wins were totally lucky-- the match play Fitz pushed him to like 6 extra holes and was clearly playing at the same level. Bay Hill was like the luckiest thing I have ever seen, and his immovable obstruction relief to chip-in for birdie on 3 at Augusta was like a 3 shot swing vs the score he should have made.

Tell me I am wrong!

1 Like

Scotty Scheffler won 3 tough PGA events and the Masters and played well in most other events. You could argue the case of luck for both players realistically. Its not even a competition is it? Scheffler wins all day long.

It’s pretty clear that if current form holds Rory McIlroy is the easy choice to be the betting favorite for the Masters

However Player of the Year is based on accomplishments, not ability or potential

Scheffler is the easy choice and Cameron Smith also ranks ahead of McIlroy

Really, it’s not close

Where does tying the all-time record for size of a blown 54 hole lead rank in terms of accomplishments?

Why is the season scoring title and major scoring title not an accomplishment? Rory was class all year with the entire PGA tour on his back!

I am not saying Scheffler is a bad player, or had a bad year, I just disagree with the prevailing opinion that he was the best this year.

EDIT:
Sorry-- meant to respond to Daniel Song not ULOSTSOWAT-- my apologies.

1 Like

Next time, Gadget, next time

3rd best player on the PGA Tour is really not that bad

Rory! Rory! Rory! Rory!

Did you guys see in his presser the other day that he is looking to build on winning OSS POY with another chase to Dubai victory?

I bet on Rory this week. I will be rooting for him hard LOL

What are people going to say now?

The people are going to continue to say Scottie > Rory!

Even though Scheffler has had a pretty bad end to the (calendar) year by his standards, his ball-striking has actually gotten even better. Before this week we had Rory’s predict OTT+APP at +1.85, and Scheffler’s at +1.97!

For some reason Scheffler’s odds are a bit higher for the Masters (15 @ 365) than the other majors. Might grab some of that now…

I would certainly rather bet McIlroy at 10-1 than Scheffler at 14-1 to win the Masters

Let’s just call him the Datagolf adjusted SG Player of the Year and call it a day

1 Like

That Scheffler is the winner and its not even close. If Rory gets it for winning money lists and smaller events you may as well call it OSS LIV Equivalent POY.

Dustin Johnson did win a lot of money LOL
4 Aces, Team of the Year!
Let’s see what 2023 brings

By the way Rory can end all arguments by winning 2 majors in 2023.

Fairly certain Rory would happily trade his 2022 for Scheffler’s and/or (ignoring the LIV stuff) Cameron Smith’s.

Not a chance either Scheffler or Smith trade with Rory.

2 Likes

Rory literally said in his presser he wouldnt trade OSS Player of Year for anything.

I’m sure Rory would trade it for a green jacket LOL
Too bad Scheffler didn’t 8-putt on the final hole
There’s always next year! (I have money on him to win in 2023 LOL)

And just when I was ready to reconsider the award after that pathetic performance in the Match…

Maybe next year is the year he wins 2 majors, 8 tournaments, and earns more than $1B