Old School Scout Round of the Year: Call For Nominees

Ha, you don’t think Le Golf National is a legit course? Lots of big boy golf shots there, can’t fake your way around it.

1 Like

Ridiculous comment, if it wasn’t a “legit course” without teeth then the Americans wouldn’t have got handily beaten in the 2018 Ryder Cup. Especially when you’ve got a round from the Wyndham on your list.

2 Likes

Alright alright-- some good points here. I guess I just don’t have fond memories of the place, besides one of my favorite Ryder Cup moments of all time: Phil realizing the cup was over and intentionally hooking his tee shot into the water on 17 to concede the match and get off the course.

And the wyndham round is only on there because the guy made a quad, but your point is taken and I have stricken it from the list. That course sucks.

Now that I’ve defended the honour of le Golf National, I think the round of the year basically has to be something by the winner of one of the four majors, or possibly the Players. In effect, producing your best stuff when the pressure is greatest.

With that in mind, Smith’s r4 at the Open is the obvious winner, with his r4 at the Players in second.

1 Like

Classic case of how context matters
I guess this is why we have these debates

Honestly I’d say that the Le Golf National had a way better setup than the Old Course this year and Migliozzi’s round was objectively better. If they had the Open Championship there instead I wouldn’t have minded

From a SG point of view McIlroy’s final round at the Masters was like 5 shots better than either of Cam Smith’s final rounds though. I get where you’re coming from but that’s a huge gap

1 Like

Out of left field but I’m submitting Justin Thomas’ second round 69 at The Players.

He went birdie-par-par on 16-17-18 in the worst weather of the year. The majority of high-ranked players that were playing the same stretch alongside Thomas got viciously ejected from the tournament. There was a 30-minute window where he was the only player to hit the green on 17, and he did so with a soft-armed 6-iron! He then proceeded to go driver, 3-wood to 30 feet on 18.

The results from round 2 are below but they don’t do him any justice. Bones said it was the most impressive round of golf he’d ever seen.

*Bubba Watson was in his wave but he was on the safe side of the golf course during the highest, coldest winds.

4 Likes

JT’s 69 at the players is definitely a contender— certainly worthy of an honourable mention— that is going on the list for sure.

1 Like

Honestly I’d say that the Le Golf National had a way better setup than the Old Course this year and Migliozzi’s round was objectively better. If they had the Open Championship there instead I wouldn’t have minded

I do not agree with this, but lets convince the R and A to host a British Open in the Republic of Ireland before asking them to host one in france.

From a SG point of view McIlroy’s final round at the Masters was like 5 shots better than either of Cam Smith’s final rounds though. I get where you’re coming from but that’s a huge gap

This I do agree with. So i liked your comment, but I want to clarify that the like refers to this part.

I remember seeing JT’s -3 that day and thinking that was absolutely incredible… only to see Bubba come in -4. Really blew my mind lol

1 Like

Honestly I am inclined to say JT’s round is the betting favorite for round of the year in my mind. After all, this is the old school scout round of the year, not the fancy stats round of the year. It is about the experience of watching the round, and how it made you feel.

JT’s round was probably around +8 true SG based on the conditions he faced

No doubt it was a whale of a round

I’d watch Rory and Tiger’s Sim Golf if they could recreate these wind conditions and we get to see 2/3 of the balls go in the drink on 17 and 1/3 of the tee shots go in the drink on 18

If they’re throwing clubs and shooting in the 80’s I’ll watch

1 Like

Different division, but In Gee Chun’s Round 1 of the Women’s PGA Championship is the best round I’ve ever seen in women’s golf

Possibly the best single round in women’s major championship history

That round was so good, I believe it would have been a true SG of +4 on the PGA Tour and would have placed her in the top 10 on the PGA Tour after the 1st round

Had she played like that on the PGA Tour she would have made the cut easily

1 Like

I think I just saw the round of the year on the Champions Tour

Incredible 60 from Fred Couples in the final round of the SAS Championship

It was so good, I think it would have been low round of the day if he played like that on the PGA Tour

1 Like

Love Boom Boom. What a legend.

Even at 63 he still has the same swagger

1 Like