Ryder Cup 2023 (it's time!)

Young is also an elite ball-striker-- a dream for alternate shot! Burns is just a luckbox with the flatstick in the southeastern US-- he stinks!

Burns should have been on that Walker cup a few year back though so I guess I am happy for him.

JT is the real enemy of the people here.

1 Like

didnā€™t understand why speithā€™s spot was never in doubt and why henley never got any consideration.

3 Likes

The narrative is that JT and Spieth are a good teamā€” itā€™s like, why? Because they both stink at putting and hit it horribly off the tee?

JT being on the team is the biggest fan-service ever. Really breaking the fourth wall here. Zach Johnson clearly crumbled under the pressure from the JT lobbyist groups on Instagram.

T20&Ties makes a great point, JT has to play some matches now and takes away chances from the other great players who can actually hit a golf ball in the direction they intended.

Brooks obviously has to be on the team as he is actually good at the sport.

Burns most likely gets on the team because he is a devout Christian and probably BBQā€™s meat on Sunday with Zach and Scheffler so I can understand wanting him there over Cam Young who is starting to look more and more like a headcase with no emotional control.

I feel pretty bad for Dechambeau though, I get heā€™s not very likeable but the guy is actually playing well again and crushed the last Ryder Cup and just tied the all time lowest score in pro golf.

Weird stuff, speaks to the depth of the American team when you can pick a squad of 24 and still feel like some guys deserved a chance. Except JT, fuck that guy.

1 Like

Did have a good chuckle at the notion of Johnson picking Burns because heā€™s Christian buddies with Scheffler. Probably not too far wide of the mark.

Burnsā€™ mediocre form and the fact that they got 1/2 a point from three games against the internationals were secondary factors to the adoration of the Good Lord Almighty.

2 Likes

"Did have a good chuckle at the notion of Johnson picking Burns because heā€™s Christian buddies with Scheffler. "

It is 100 percent on-the-mark! Here is Keegan:

It is such crap! Everyone in the golf media keeps talking about the ā€œchemistryā€ and ā€œleadershipā€ JT brings to the role. Why? Because he and Spieth played the same AJGA events?? Like why are we even talking about this??

I am honestly incensed. Part of what drew me to this game when I was young, and one aspect that I relished versus the other team sports that I played, was that there was never a coach to take you off the field and play his crappy kid instead. If you put the ball in the hole, you win-- simple as that. Apparently that does not apply to the Ryder cup. To the (very limited) extent that I watch it at all, I will be rooting for Europe.

2 Likes

To be fair, from a European perspective weā€™ve dialled back the qualifying spots because absolute shite kept making the team and lumbered the captain with a player they had no interest in putting out there.

Wood, Sullivan and Fitzpatrick (at the time) in 2016, Olesen in 2018 and Wiesberger last time come to mind. Even with it reduced to six places thereā€™s a chance someone like Yannik Paul or Otaegui qualifies this year.

1 Like

Beautiful win, ƅberg! :smiling_face:

edit: A bit dissapointed that Letzig is on vacation though :wink:

3 Likes

All of a sudden Europe arenā€™t looking as shite as Iā€™d suspected, while there are quite a few question marks over the Americans.

2 Likes

Ya Ludvig might be a force at Marco Simone, it puts a premium on driving the ball and heā€™s one of the best.

Letzig needed a break, haha. Do you find the newsletters useful/enjoyable? They take a fair amount of work; we are definitely going to reassess what we want to get out of that for 2024.

2 Likes

I think the newsletters are both useful and enjoyable. Very much so, actually. Not directly useful for betting but seems like it always triggers me to check something out in more depth. But Iā€™m just a consumer so I would understand if you had to change the concept because of time issues. After all, it is a quick read, which canā€™t be motivated if it takes too much time.

Havenā€™t checked it out yet, but his T2G must be something else for a rookie? Would be cool to see how he compares to others first 10 career pro tournaments or so.

https://twitter.com/sgtee2green/status/1698364792132473043/photo/1

1 Like

Absolutely love newsletters, always instant read when I see it in inbox, and often reminds me to check out site.

I second all the people bashing on JT pick, just absurd Boys Club nonsense, really the opposite of everything we want sports to be.

Question is are there any useful Ryder cup stats out there? So ridiculous how people just use record, with no adjustment for partner/opponent/score. Phil getting 0-1 when he shot like 63 against Sergio and then every Cup someone shoots 74 to get a win and those are treated oppositely. Is there any data on how people actually play?

4 Likes

So, twitter-rumours on Hojgaard over Meronk, or atleast Meronk out. Personally rooted for Meronk snatching Bobby Macā€™s spot and then both ƅberg and Hojgaard picked as WC. I like Mac but Meronk is better. Bobby basically makes it thanks to great linksgolf in the scottish?

I guess Lowry is a lock btw? Not that I canā€™t see arguments against it, but from the Donalds perspective as a routine pick I suppose it is.

2 Likes

Yeah itā€™s unfortunate for the Euros that Macintyre got that spot (also, they need to change their system if Macintyre can get an auto-spot with the year heā€™s had).

I had kind of assumed Meronk was a lock, but looking at our site him and Hojgaard are pretty similar. Maybe they think Hojgaard is a better fit for Marco Simone (which would be an ironic deciding factor, given Meronkā€™s win this year there).

2 Likes

A bit of a random question, but does anyone think itā€™s a little strange that the Americans and Europeans donā€™t set their rosters at the same time? I feel like itā€™s advantageous if you have the opportunity to make captains picks after the other team has already set their team.

Now, I canā€™t imagine that advantage is all that significant, but itā€™s still provides insight into what the other team perceives as valuable, what potential pairings may be, etc. Although Iā€™m not sure if knowing the roster of the other team beforehand would have much of an influence on how the other team makes their captains picksā€¦

Anyhow, it just seemed weird to me that it wasnā€™t mandated that both teams make captains picks at the same time.

3 Likes

Yeah, looking at Mac and Meronkā€™s seasons side by side it seems just incredible that Meronk is the one that might not make the team.

And hereā€™s Hojgaards run

Btw, matt. Any insights on ƅbergs Xwin given how he played yesterday? Obviously impressive run coming home but Fitzy did somewhat collapse. Iā€™m guessing ƅberg still have some rounds to play before heā€™s integrated in the pressure tool.

1 Like

Damnā€¦ that sucks for Meronk. They just need to change the European aspect of their points list, especially given even fewer top guys will be in Europe going forward (given that the top 10 DP guys are promoted to PGAT).

Re Aberg, we have him at 0.35 xWins (conditional on how he played on Sunday).

3 Likes

Is he really any different from Harman getting onto the American team via his links golf performances? By all accounts MacIntyre was in serious consideration for a wildcard if he didnā€™t make it, whereas I find it very difficult to believe Harman would have been picked if he hadnā€™t automatically qualified.

Yeah, this year did show just how much weight the majors get on the US points listā€¦ but I think itā€™s a bit different for the European team because their top 6 is so clearly defined. Whereas on the US side it is a lot more bunched, so a big win can more understandably make the difference.

If Macintyre didnā€™t get in on points I would have been stunned if he got picked, given you had the options of Meronk, Aberg, and Hojgaard (and even Bjork, who is a bit of a forgotten man in this). But a few weeks ago this maybe wasnā€™t as clear cut.

2 Likes