Ryder Cup 2023 (it's time!)

Was just thinking about starting an early thread when I saw the DG coverage short cut on the front page so perfect timing to pull the trigger. I hope Migliozzi can show some stability and work his way in on the euro team. I think he’s a man for the bigger occasions and will bring his A-game. But that’s about it for now, can’t struggle to make the cut 2 out 3 times.

Speaking of young players with fire power R Hojgaard is the obvious one taking his game to a higher (more stable) level. Good run to finish up the euro season.

Tough to compete with the americans ridiculous depth either way´though. Just glad it’s on euro soil this time. Evens it out a bit even though this young american generation seems motivated enough to actually care, unlike what it looked like in 2018.

And thanks to Will and Matt for the Ryder Cup coverage page. Looks good.

3 Likes

One interesting point is that it seems like the skillset of the European team will be more similar to the American team than past years. This might actually work to their disadvantage (ignoring the fact that all else equal being longer means you will be better at golf) in the sense that they can’t trick out the course to favour their skillset over the Americans’. At Le Golf National they did that to an extreme degree, making the penalty for a missed fairway very severe. I haven’t actually looked at the data from past teams, but it feels like the top Americans are more accurate and the top Europeans are longer (relative to their respective past teams).

3 Likes

If all else fails, you can always set up the course soft with slow grainy greens and no rough
Set it up similar to Champions Tour or the All Thailand Golf Tour
Basically you want the average score to be -4 or so
Hey, everyone likes birdies and it’s all about winning, so why not

1 Like

Honestly, this is the correct strategy if they want to win.

Giving the Ryder Cup discussion a “Bump” to the top again. Teams are starting to shape up pretty nicely on both sides. Also the US Team is going over to Italy now a few weeks before the RC to practice at Marco Simone G&CC. Notable that nobody from the US played at the Italian Open a few weeks ago where many on the Euro side did (Adrian Meronk was the Winner and almost assured of being on the Euro Team now). Also, Brooks on the US side now should create conversation. Thanks!

No Laying Up guys were there and talked very negatively about course and setup, were not a fan of holes and too much rough

1 Like

Interesting, I watched all 18 Holes both Sat. and Sunday of the Italian Open and there were some great risk/reward holes and the rough is tough in spots but no worse than a typical US PGA or US Open venue. I actually liked the set up and see where some holes are perfect for Match Play. Thanks for sharing though!

2 Likes

I think they said they would grow it more for Ryder Cup but need to re listen. Overall they seemed quite negative about it though, good to hear opposite opinion. I do think these two guys (soly and dj) sometimes tend to obsess a bit on weird hangups

2 Likes

It’s very likely they will grow the rough more and speed up the greens for the Ryder Cup; that has happened on other venues over the years that are regular tour stops normally. Very demanding driving course and the rough was significant that it probably attributed to a .5 stroke penalty on many of the holes. The course will be great for fans, good natural amphitheater settings, drivable par 4’s, reachable Par 5’s and some challenging Par 3’s.

1 Like

Here is the full video of all 18 holes at Marco Simone, no commentary however.

Yeah they are likely coming from the ‘woke’ golf course architecture view, where long rough / narrow fairways is necessarily bad. I don’t really agree with that take.

2 Likes

All in all, how do you guys price in home soil advantage? Feels like less of an factor with this generation than previously? Because it has been an advantage historically speaking? Of course, nothing that can be statistically assured.

1 Like

I agree with you, though it was a huge factor in 2018. But that Euro team is a lot better than this one will be, at least the bottom half of the roster.

1 Like

Interesting week. Åberg and N. Hojgaard playing with Moli and Bob Mac and Björk with Donald. Mac and Björk did the job 1st round. Now it’s up the youngsters to respond.

The European team does not have a huge amount of depth. Things are looking pretty good for the Americans.

This US team STINKS!
Go europe.
I hope Spieth and JT lose every single match.

2 Likes

Ya I know we picked JT in our newsletter, but I don’t feel good about it now. I think there are too many Captain’s picks; I honestly think the selections should be made partly on who deserves it, not just who gives you the best chance to win.

If I’m Keegan I’m really pissed; outplays JT by a mile this year, and then doesn’t get picked because JT is the “emotional leader of the team” (which may be true, but nobody cares more about the RC than Keegan). I also would have picked Young > Burns. Would have been nice to see Henley snag a spot but I don’t think he was even considered.

Also Brooks was a lock I guess, but it’s annoying that he’s on the team given that he sent a strong signal that he doesn’t give a shit about the Ryder Cup when he went to LIV.

8 Likes

Henley is the ‘stats’ pick I can accept has been unlucky but he didn’t win in 2023 so don’t know how much he can complain. Keegan like you say should genuinely be raging.

The JT pick could maybe, maybe have some extra justification if this was in the US. But is this guy really finding it on a non-PGA tour course? Additionally, people have been viewing this as JT vs Keegan or JT vs Cam Young. But that isn’t where the decisions end. Now he’s on the team he could potentially take playing time away from players like Morikawa or Fowler. That seems awful for the US wrt win probability.

3 Likes

The one I didn’t see coming was Burns. Assuming it was Burns vs Young vs Bradley for the final spot, makes some sense going with the most trustworthy putter.

That said, if I’m ZJ I cannot leave Young at home after seeing what he’s done at the last two Open’s.

1 Like

Yeah, I was also surprised by Burns. It might have come down to relationships with guys already on the team, I’ve read a couple times now that Young kind of keeps to himself out on tour. But I really like Young… fun to watch and I like his demeanour.

2 Likes