Swedish amateur star Ludvig Aberg turns down LIV-offer to "play in the big tournaments and make a name for myself..."

Just read a swedish article about it. Apparently he has turned down an offer earlier this year. Some source says he was offered 15 000 000 USD but he denies it was quite that much, but still a very high number, so maybe 10? Not sure how much Chaccara got but something like that. No surprise he got the offer but haven’t read his own words about it.

He says he don’t want to be associated with Saudi Arabia and that you “burn many bridges” by choosing LIV.

You can read it here. Svenske jättetalangen ratar monstersumman | Golf | Expressen Probably a decent translation in your browser.

All in all he express a “money isn’t everything”-kinda attitude and talks in high regards of the PGA/Euro tour, majors and the Ryder Cup as his means of motivation.

6 Likes

I have not had the pleasure of watching a whole round of his yet, but he clearly has a lot of game. He should be able to succeed here and make that kind of money and have a chance to plan all the majors. Thanks for sharing the article

1 Like

Might go watch Aberg play a full round on Saturday at the Canadian Open (assuming he makes the cut). The course is 20 minutes from my house. If Aberg has a good summer he has a real shot at the Ryder Cup team.

4 Likes

Meronk is playing too, I hope you get to watch him for at least a few holes, he was very impressive in person at the Dell matchplay. He also plays very well, and national opens

@matt_courchene , Definitely be posting some stuff on Saturday at the tournament please. This should be a great tournament with a great new venue for the Canadian Open. Enjoy your time at the tournament

I would love to see this swing in person.

https://twitter.com/pgatouru/status/1666923988608589825?s=46&t=TU1_9RJK-gKZI66mywcAKw

Simple and repeatable. He is going to be a player.

His profile needs to be updated? Sill stands as an amateur atleast.

1 Like

Man, the way he drives the ball. On cruise control.

Yeah, good OTT numbers have to be the best predictor of future success for a young player. Such a reliable advantage.

2 Likes

By the way. The swedish commentators for Discovery+ refers to Datagolf numbers and statistics all the time. And gives you credit as source of information by name regurly, and with great respect. Came up just now when they took viewer questions about Abergs ranking on the OWGR and his 66th DG rank :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hm, nice! Which countries get that broadcast?

I know that there is a Norwegian commentator (former player) who uses our stuff all the time and references it. As a result Norway has our 4th largest user base I think, haha.

5 Likes

Haha, damn norwegians making ground on a sport where we’re supposed to dominate them :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, that’s Henrik Björnstad. I believe he’s both on the norwegian feed aswell as doing some reports on the course for the english speaking feed on Eurosport (which is a part of Discovery+).

The broadcast I’m talking about is soley for the swedish audience though. But hopefully Åberg can bring back the hype for swedish men’s golf in the country, and therefore also for datagolf :stuck_out_tongue: Stenson’s Open win was a big thing and I have already noticed alot of recognition for Åberg over here.

2 Likes

I gave Aberg a bump in the predictions this week based on the theory that 50 rounds ago was 2020 for him, he was 3 years younger and probably not as strong/experienced so it seems wrong to group those results into his ability.

He has that ‘gonna be a star’ look about him and the way he has already played in a few events gives me confidence that he’s only going to get better. I think I modelled him at around +.95sg

With these very young guys 50 rounds seems to be too far behind and we might end up with another Tom Kim situation if we are not careful.

1 Like

Aberg could warrant a bump. But 50 rounds ago for him was not 2020… he plays a lot. Probably was around September 2022. Don’t have the exact date at the moment.

1 Like

So 50 rounds is not 50 tournaments? :rofl: ROFL this is why the bookies win!

2 Likes

seems to be an elite driver of the golf ball. 180 + ball speed and hits nearly every fairway. would have loved to see what he would have done at the US Open.

1 Like

Their set-up for tonights broadcast. Recognize anything? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes