Notoriously over- and undervalued

Hm… so you take a big dump on people cherry-picking stats, while Rory’s two starts below what you’ve included here are a T47 and an MC (and then 3rd, MC, T2, T29, T32).

1 Like

“Hm… so you take a big dump on people cherry-picking stats”

This is exactly the point I am making.

Okay, so you agree Scottie’s run of form is still significantly better than Rory’s (when you don’t cherry pick)? Cause that’s not the vibe I picked up.

Maybe your twitter timeline looks different than mine, but for the past year my entire feed has been filled with the INSANE RUN OF FORM that Scottie is on, how it is UNPRECENDENTED, how nobody is close to him right now, blah blah and then listing off his SG ball-striking stats in the last 14 or whatever tournaments (as if the fact that just giving his SG average isn’t enough), and a bunch of content about how Rory cant get tournaments over the line and is distracted, but meanwhile we could just as easily concoct a dumb list of stats that make Rory look like the second coming of Tiger.

Okay, fair enough. I didn’t realize you were trying to cherry pick Rory’s stats. He’s also playing insanely well, no doubt.

1 Like

This does not include the Ryder cup, but to be clear, no, I do not agree that Scottie has been significantly better than Rory.

Mostly, I am sick of the narrative that it is not even close, and the increasing consensus that putting is not really part of the sport, or not really a skill, when Lucas Glover is clear evidence to the contrary.

Has Scottie been a little better than Rory? Yes, but it has been close.

EDIT: I recognize that this is a dumb, niche, hair splitting-argument, and want to clarify that it is not aimed at you, it is aimed at my Twitter feed that doesn’t listen to me.

It is almost like if people in 2008 pretended that Vijay was actually better than Tiger, because he was losing so many strokes on the greens, and that doesn’t really count, or will go away soon and he will start being good at putting (it didnt, and he didnt).

EDIT: This is half in jest, designed to get a rise, but it just popped in my head and I think it is kind of funny.

All good, I was the one being slightly aggressive.

Honestly I still feel Scheffler is under-appreciated, so maybe we have different golf timelines. He gained 2.75/round last year with negative SG putting (I know, I know, it is part of the game), which is quite a bit better than Rory’s best SG year.

1 Like

Obviously when you look at the calendar year (not what I use for OSS POY), it is very hard to criticize Scotties year. Even I will admit that I was impressed with the consistent string of large positive numbers. It was a legitimately insane year of pro golf.

You know what?

Vijay in 2008. Notoriously undervalued.

@matt_courchene @Top20andTies
regarding Haotong Li …one of my books offers a Haotong vs Soderberg 72hole matchup. Odds at -110 (1.90) on both sides …according tu custom matchup tool, it’s a 35% EV on Soderberg, with fair odds at -246 (1.41). How would you play it ? half usual kelly ? treat it as fair odds for like -150 on Soderberg ?

1 Like

It’s mostly just up to you. I still want to bet against Haotong this week, but not a ton, so I just have a missed cut bet on him. It’s hard to say what to expect this week… his game has clearly turned around massively from last year.

Alright alright, Scottie can finally putt, I give up.

3 Likes