The 151st open championship at Royal Liverpool

Any early picks?

Here’s something to get in the mood with: Previewing this year's Open Championship at Royal Liverpool - YouTube

Rory— looking to win back to back OSS player of the year awards and no better way to do it than with a Claret Jug in hand.

2 Likes

Pretty controversial award last year. A lot of big names disagreed with it.

2 Likes

It’s interesting watching the Scottish Open this week and a lot of PGA Tour players seem to be handling the course better than they did last time. Scheffler looked baffled last year, he seems to be doing much better now. It’s weird watching the ball not check up so much.

Seems like this course favours driving accuracy a bit more than the typical Open venue. I think the data from the 2 past opens here showed DA as only slightly below average (whereas normally it’s well below at an Open course). I love that internal out of bounds.

My non-data take is for Spieth to have a good week. I just think he hasn’t been getting much out of his game; hasn’t put 4 good rounds together in a while, he’s due.

4 Likes

Can’t see DG showing green on Bobby Mac monday, far from it, but with this shown form I’m taking 151x on BO. But I never learn though that if you’re patient the exchanges will give you higher most of the times.

1 Like

Thought about this and got a sudden feeling for Harman. He’s been playing great and so this week. Accurate and 6th last year, where this course should suit him even better? 201x @bet365 that time (81x now, with absolute rubbish margin though), and some books still have 201 now. Just smashed 180x at pinny.,

3 Likes

Nice call on Bobby M

1 Like

I have a feeling Cantlay finally shows up for a Major this time, seems overlooked and has been playing decently.

I think Rory winning this week definitely takes a tole on next week’s chances. There would be a lot of admin to deal with when you win. Has to distract you a bit for the next week.

Scheffler is just a machine, he will definitely show up.

Also what the hell is Jon Rahm doing? Haven’t seen that guy in ages.

1 Like

Anyone buying the C. Young dip? 75x on betfair seems way high. Also saw McCarthy over 200x on betfair :face_with_monocle: Feels like an insane price for the DG no.14 under any circumstances.

1 Like

Young I just don’t fully buy as an Open fit. St Andrew’s is tailor-made for him.

1 Like

Slight sidebar: did anyone who followed the golf closely last week notice a lot of mistakes in the shot tracking? e.g. a 6 foot putt being labelled as a 2 ft putt?

I noticed Richie Ramsay’s last putt on 18 in Made in Himmerland(?), was labelled as 2 feet when it was atleast 5. Some of the IMG-arena workers seemed a bit sloppy when I watched them at the Scandinavian mixed. No rush to the ball, even when there were potential ugly lies/situations, e.g rough or water. I notcied that they often registered a initial position of the ball, before walking up close and adjusting (mostly when everyone in the ball had hit their approach shot),

Are you suggesting something? :grin:

Yes, PGA Tour and ShotLink run laps around whatever they are doing across the pond.

3 Likes

I was a bit sceptical about that OB at first. But it grows on me. That 18th hole is just what you want, right? You’re not safe until you’ve holed out and anything from eagle to +bogeys is possible. I’m not a fan of finishing with par 5s playing closer to par 4s.

1 Like

Yeah it is incredible to watch 3 of the best golfers in the world step up on that tee and completely bail out left on that hole. Amazing what OB can do to players. Makes for a good sweat on 3-balls: 3-shot swings are always in play!

2 Likes

So you are heavy on Harman?

2 Likes

Yup, that I am :sweat_smile:
Basically nothing to place though. But can’t do anything about that.

I take that back, today was f**king miserable sweating 3-balls on 18. Remind me never to do that again.

3 Likes

Amazing hole! Sad that we dont get to see Wyndham tee it up with a one shot lead.

1 Like